3 of the Best Natural Sleep Aids Available Today
If you're one of the many people who have trouble sleeping and don't want to poison your body with those harmful sleeping pills, there are a number of natural sleep aids available that you could try instead. Read on to learn more about the best natural sleep aids that can have you sleeping like a baby once again in no time at all!
So,Why Can't I Sleep?
Firstly, take a look at your daily routine. You may discover straight away what's causing your sleeping issues. Are you under a lot of pressure or stress lately? Have you switched to a different diet or used a new medication? All these factors could be affecting your sleep pattern and may be the cause of your insomnia.
Here are 3 quick changes you can make that could help you get a better night's sleep:
- Avoid eating too close to bedtime. Your body needs ample time to digest your meals before you go to sleep. The best time really to eat your dinner is around 4 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid all caffeine. Tea, coffee, and most soft drinks are loaded with caffeine, so avoid these drinks after lunchtime. Avoiding these drinks is one of the best natural sleep aids.
- Avoid television and video games before going to bed. Both of these are far too stimulating and you'll find it a lot harder to fall to sleep afterwards.
Natural and Organic Sleep Aids
Here are some of the best natural sleep aids available:
- Adding a drop of lavender oil on your pillow at night will help you fall asleep faster and you'll also sleep for longer. Lavender oil also works great in the bath. Sometimes taking a long soak in the bath with the essential oil will help you completely relax before bed.
- Chamomile, which you can drink as a tea, has an great calming effect and increases better sleep.
- Chinese medicines & acupuncture can also help you get a better night's sleep. Talk to your local Chinese naturopath, herbalist, or acupuncturist to setup a treatment plan to suit your needs.
Create a Relaxing Environment
In order for the best natural sleep aids to work, the place you sleep is very important. You might need to transform your room into a more relaxing environment in order to help you sleep.
- Try and keep your room uncluttered with minimal distractions. Don't watch television or do your work in the bedroom. Instead, assign another room in your house for these specific activities.
- If you have a clock that ticks or an alarm with a LED display that lights up, get rid of it. Get rid of as many electrical items as possible or switch them off completely.
- If you have a thermostat, set it to a comfortable temperature that's conducive for sleep, and make sure you wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes.
- It's always best to sleep in a quiet, dark room, but sometimes this isn't easy to achieve. If light and noise are an issue, a quick and easy fix is to use earplugs and a sleeping mask.
Mind, Body and Spirit
At times, it can be difficult to fully wind down after a busy, stressful day. Fortunately, there are 3 quick relaxation techniques that can help you move into a more relaxed state and prepare you for sleep. These techniques work great when combined with the best natural sleep aids mentioned above.
- Meditation. Practice this in bed just before you sleep and it will help you to drift off. You'll be able to completely forget about your day and allow your mind to fully unwind.
- Yoga. There are a few yoga styles that focus simply on light stretching and breathing techniques. These only take between 10-15 minutes and can be done just before you go to bed.
- Relaxation CD's. Try listening to relaxation CD's to help you get to sleep. These CD's range from soothing musical tracks to the blissful sounds of ocean waves. These audios have a particularly relaxing effect and will help you sleep more soundly.
Remember, a good night's sleep always helps to keep you healthy by giving your mind and body time to replenish. Use the best natural sleep aids above and sleep well every night and wake up each morning feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead!